Installing the MODO® plugin
How do I install the plugin?
Installing the plugin is as simple as copying the plugin folder to your modo user scripts folder.
Three versions of the kit are included (modo 10/11/12 series); If you actively use all supported versions of modo, then it is safe to copy all kit folders to your User Scripts directory.
Please follow the step-by-step Instructions below,
- Download and unzip the plugin files
- Open modo
- From the main menu, select System > Open User Scripts Folder
- Copy the whole ‘nx_window_maker_xxx’ folder (from your download) to your modo User Scripts Folder;
- 'nx_window_maker_m10' is for use with modo 10 series.
- 'nx_window_maker_m11' is for use with modo 11 series.
- 'nx_window_maker_m12' is for use with modo 12 series.
- Close modo
- Restart modo and the plugin is ready for use.
How do I access the NX Window Maker in modo?
The tools are accessed at the base of the 'Basic' tab in modo's model tools panel (see image to right), which is found on the left hand side of the interface when the 'model' layout is selected. The divider named 'NX Window Maker' starts collapsed to conserve space - click on it to reveal the buttons that launch the plugins.
Can I put the 'nx_window_maker_xxx' folder in another location?
Yes. If have added an <import> statement in your main modo config that points to a location where you prefer to store your scripts and plugins, then feel free to place the ‘nx_window_maker_xxx’ folder there.
Help, I cannot see 'NX Window Maker' in the UI
If you cannot see the ‘NX Window Maker’ divider (see image to right) in the user interface after restarting modo, then it's likely that either,
- You have placed the ‘nx_window_maker_xxx’ folder in the wrong directory (i.e. a folder that is not scanned by modo on start-up); or
- The version of ‘NX Slider Windows’ you have is not compatible with the version of modo you are using. Check if your current modo version is compatible with the version of the plugin that your using
- ‘nx_window_maker_m10’ is for modo 10 series,
- ‘nx_window_maker_m11’ is for modo 11 series,
- ‘nx_window_maker_m12’ is for modo 12 series.
How do I add the window furniture mesh presets?
To add the mesh presets to modo’s content folder follow these steps,
- Open modo.
- From the main menu select System > Open Content Folder.
- Navigate to Assets > Meshes and copy the whole “nx_window_furnture” folder, which is included in the files that you download, to it.
Alternatively, you can add the mesh presets to your preferred drive location and then navigate to it using modo’s asset browser.
How do I upgrade to a newer version of the Window Maker Kit?
Follow the step-by-step install instructions as normal, but at step 4 delete the old ‘nx_slider_windows’ folder prior to copying the new one across to your User Scripts Folder.
Can I add my own UI elements that launch the plugins?
Yes. If you’re an experienced user and would like to launch the plugins from another location (e.g. you have a custom palette for a given set of tools) then you can run/activate the tools using the following commands,
- tool.set nx.MultiWindow on
- tool.set nx.BoxSashWindow on
- tool.set nx.SliderWindow on
Ideally, you should use exported forms when creating custom palettes or UI additions to avoid baking your UI config code into modo's main configuration file.
I’m using Windows 8 and get an error message when I try and activate the tool
It’s possible that your system may lack the latest Microsoft libraries required to run the plugin. In this case, you should install the VS 2017 ‘vc_redist.x64.exe’ package from Microsoft. In order for this to take effect, you’ll need to restart your system after installing this package.
Important: Things to Avoid
There are a few things that you should not do when installing or using this plugin. If you choose to ignore these instructions, then you do so at your own risk. Please do not
- Remove any files from the ‘nx_window_maker_xxx’ folders; or
- Rename or otherwise change any of the files in the ‘nx_window_maker_xxx’ folders; or
- Alter any of the Window Maker Kit user interfaces or forms. Doing so will bake changes into your main modo config and will cause issues with future updates; or
- Use “File > Add Plug-in...” when installing the Window Maker Kit.